Back to Policies List



Type: Grading
Effective Date: 6/29/2018


Petitioning After the Deadline

A class may be changed to "A"-Pass/Fail after the deadline, using the "Petition to Change to "A"-Pass/Fail after the Deadline" form, and before a final grade is issued, providing the student’s advisor, instructor, department chair, and the dean approve this petition. The Department Chair must be from the Department where the class is offered and the Dean from the School/College where the class is offered. Once all approvals are secured, this form must be returned to the Registrar’s Office.


If an undergraduate student wishes to petition for “A”-Pass/Fail grading option, he/she must:

  • Fill out the Request for "A"-Pass/Fail form found on the Registrar’s website
  • Get his/her advisor approval and signature on the form
  • Turn request into the Registrar’s Office for processing


Graduate students who wish to elect Pass-Fail grading for an undergraduate course that will not be taken for credit (such as a course taken to satisfy a deficiency in preparation for a graduate plan), must obtain approval from:

  • his/her advisor; and
  • the Graduate College

Non-degree graduate students who wish to take an undergraduate course for personal enrichment  must obtain permission from:

  • the course instructor; and
  • the Graduate College


Graduate Students can appeal or petition for exception

Graduate students may petition for an exception to any academic, non-grade-related, graduate regulation for which no specific appeal or petition process exists. Petitions should be submitted, in writing, to the Associate Dean of the Graduate College. When applicable, the student’s advisor and department chair may endorse the petition letter. In some specific instances, utilizing the Graduate Academic Appeal Policy is more appropriate.

Students should contact the Associate Dean of the Graduate College for clarification on which process to initiate.

Related policies:

    Back to Policies List