Back to Policies List


Applying for Re-Admission, Undergraduates

Type: Enrollment
Effective Date: 7/8/2014

If you are a former, degree-seeking NAU student who has not been enrolled in any of the last three consecutive terms, you must apply for re-admission. In determining three consecutive terms, we count Fall-Spring-Fall or Spring-Fall-Spring sequences during which you enrolled. You can also use the Summer or Winter terms to maintain your enrollment status (though if you don't enroll during the Summer or Winter terms, that isn't counted against you). (Former Non-degree students may be readmitted as Non-degree only.)

Please note that to be considered enrolled for any term, you must have received a grade for at least one course, and paid all tuition and fees for that term or have had arrangements for such payments approved by the Office of Student Financial Aid.

If you have taken courses at another college or university since you last enrolled at NAU, you are required to submit official transcripts from those institutions to receive transfer credit.

If you do not meet the above criteria for re-admission, please go to the Undergraduate Admissions website and complete an Undergraduate Admissions application.

Fees may apply. See Admissions for current fees.

Please see the Application for Re-admission (Undergraduate) in the Enrollment & Petition Forms section. 

If you have been academically suspended, you must fill out an Appeal for Reinstatement and submit the completed form to the Gateway Student Success Center.

Information on reinstatement and the Reinstatement Appeal Form can be found on the Gateway Student Success Center website. Academic suspension may occur at the end of the Fall, Spring, or Summer terms. You will not be permitted to return to the university for at least one full term (Fall, Spring, or Summer) following an academic suspension.

Reinstatement Appeals are due in writing by the deadline for the term you wish to return.   Documents must be received, not postmarked, in the Gateway Student Success Center by the end of the business day for the deadline listed. Late appeals will not be considered. Please visit the Gateway Student Success Center for additional information on the appeal process. If you need assistance by phone, please call the Gateway Student Success Center at 928-523-4772.

If you are reinstated through Academic Renewal and the process results in a GPA of 2.0 or above, the requirement to return on academic probation will be waived.

Honorably Discharged Military

Effective for the Fall 2011 term and terms following, students who have been honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces and meet the conditions for in-state tuition as outlined in statute A.R.S. § 15-1802 will need to:

  • provide a copy of a DD-214 stating “Honorable Discharge” and either of the following:
  • proof of voter registration in the state of Arizona; or
  • a copy of an Arizona driver’s license
      to the NAU Office of Military and Veteran Affairs by the start date of their re-admission term. 

Send photo copies of the above documents to:



In Person

Northern Arizona University

P.O. Box 6028

Flagstaff, AZ 86011-6028


Military and Veteran Student Center

In the NAU University Union
Room 158. (Building 30)

More information at: Office of Military and Veteran Affairs at 928-523-VETS. 
You may also be interested in Credit for Military Service.
Related policies:

    Back to Policies List