Back to Policies List


Grades of In-Progress or Incomplete, Graduate

Type: Grading
Effective Date: 7/1/2018

For Non-Personalized Learning courses

To request an In-Progress "IP" grade, complete a Request for "IP" Grade form, usually available in the departmental office.

To request an Incomplete "I" grade, complete an Incomplete Contract, Graduate form available on the Registrar’s Office site under General forms, or from the departmental office.

Meet with your instructor to map out the contract, which must state expectations and a definite start/due date. Obtain other appropriate departmental approvals (if applicable). Complete the required work and submit it to the instructor. Once the contract work is successfully completed, the instructor will submit the appropriate grade change to the Registrar and your record will be revised.

Appeal eligible: Yes

Graduate students may petition for an exception to any academic, non-grade-related, graduate regulation for which no specific appeal or petition process exists. Petitions should be submitted, in writing, to the Associate Dean of the Graduate College. When applicable, the student’s advisor and department chair may endorse the petition letter. In some specific instances, utilizing the Graduate Academic Appeal Policy and UGCHP is more appropriate.

Students should contact the Associate Dean of the Graduate College for clarification on which process to initiate.

Related policies:

    Back to Policies List